Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Much awaited news

I took a little break from blogging due to the recent news that my family and I received during our 2nd trimester ultrasound screening with the a perinatologist.  I came in with my Hubby and DD thinking that we would just get the usual anatomy scan and much to our shock and disbelief, the specialist told us that she saw a choroid plexus cyst on one side of our baby's lateral ventricles.  Now, if you guys don't already know, I just started my career as a sonographer and I knew every detail the doctor was measuring on the baby before she could even call us in her office to inform us of the situation we were about to go through.  I started tearing up when I saw her scanning the baby's nuchal fold thickening at the back of the baby's head over and over.  Something was wrong.  I could tell just by the way the doctor's demeanor changed from the minute she saw something that could cause an alarm.  It did not end there, she could not find the nasal bone on the baby.  You got to be kidding me! In my mind, I was already trying to figure out how in the world am I going to handle a baby with Trisomy 18 or 21? I tried to be calm as my I could tell from the corner of my eye that my hubby was almost holding his breath when he sensed how upset I was.  I did not want to panic because my 4 year old was in the same room with no clue as to what was going on.  My fears were confirmed when we entered the doctor's office and she told me that the nuchal fold was measuring 6mm, over the limit of what they would expect with a normal fetus.  She asked me if I wanted to get an amniocentesis right then and there.  I told her there is a higher risk of me having a miscarriage than getting a baby with an anomaly.  She agreed and told us to go home and think it over.  We decided to do the second trimester quad screening so we could get hard facts before we make any decision as to how we would go forward with situation.  I must say, it was the longest 7 days of my life.  I was crying my eyes out for about 48 hours and then told myself that I was being ridiculous.  It wasn't going to change anything.

Then I thought about all the details that happened.  It could not be possible that I would have missed my baby's nasal bone when I was scanning him before.  I decided to get checked out again at my work, went to see a different doctor and a nuchal certified technologist to see if they could get a different result.  I was told my baby was fine.  Measuring 2 weeks and 4 days ahead of his estimated due date, but healthy.  I wasn't surprised that he would be huge.  My husband's family were known to deliver macrosomic babies.  Still,  I walked in my OB's clinic with a sinking stomach.  The doctor assured me that the specialist was just being an alarmist, my blood test results showed I was negative for Trisomy 18 and 21.  I was so happy, I could not get myself to get mad at the specialist who told me that she was confident with her abilities and that she suggest I do something invasive to make sure my baby is normal.

test result from the quad screen all came out negative for four anomalies
I took my daughter out shopping after.  I had to blow off the steam somewhere else! Nordstrom was so close and my spirits are back to normal.  We ended up with a new pair of  Chloe sunglasses and Charles David sandals for myself.  I purchased DD a really pretty Kitty and freckles summer dress and new Croc maryjanes.  I will blog about it later when I get the chance to take pictures.  When we got home, I even suggested to Mads that we should do a trial on making the cake pops for her birthday.   It was a great way to celebrate my excitement of being an expecting mother once again.

getting ready to try my new cake pop maker from Babycakes
The cutest little helper.  Can you tell by her grin that she really likes to beat the eggs?
Cake mix with candy sprinkles as per Mads special request
Pops came out so puffy and in perfect circles on the second batch
The candy melt for icing had to be pink of course!

I  made the cake coat too thick so it took some time to dry
What better ending to this already great day that I am having.  What a week it has been.  I am so glad this trial is all over.  If there is anything I learned from what happened, is that now I can empathize with the pregnant patients that I scan who are undergoing risky pregnancies.  It is a sad place to be in and I can only hope that I don't have to ever go through a scare like that again.

By the way, I am now 125 lbs! I gained 15 lbs for the last 20 weeks.   OB says It's ok since I was underweight to begin with.  I did not care at all.  Having a 10 lb baby is the least of my concern.  As long as he is healthy, I am happy.  Tonight, I will get myself a pedicure.  That is, if I can still reach my toes without hurting my belly.  
Wearing my Gucci sandals in bronze, my toe nails are dying for some color
Looks like I badly need one :)


  1. I just woke up to get ready for Emilia's toddler group this morning. Something's telling me to check our blog and I am so happy I did!! What a great, relieving news! I just want to celebrate with you. Very, very happy for you and us as well!!

    1. Thank you very much for the support. I am so relieved the wait is over. Now, I can enjoy the rest of my pregnancy!:)

  2. yey, this is really a good news, lets celebrate! so you better treat those tired feet..

    1. I tried! I couldn't reach my belly was on the way. Hubby finished my left foot for me,lol. I told him, when you're done with my toes, you can do my bikini wax next! That was the reward. wink*

  3. OMG, I was holding my breath the whole time I was reading!! Thank God you and the baby are fine. Miss you guys!

    1. Hi DZ, we miss you too! It was one of the worst week of my life. I don't ever want to look back at it. So glad it's over.